Here are some media pieces and science communication articles I have been written, presented or been involved in over the past few years:
- Co-host on 3RRR’s science show, Einstein A Go Go, July 2017 to present.
- Ask BoM video and blog: Why do we have different climate zones across Australia?
- First look at the Bureau of Meteorology’s Climate and Water outlook for autumn 2018 and winter 2018.
- Historical weather records collected by NSW farmer to be used in new climate modelling. ABC New England, 12 April 2018.
- Algernon Henry Belfield’s Weather Records: an update. Public lecture, Saumarez House, Armidale, 12 March 2018.
- Australia’s climate in 2017: a warm year, with a wet start and finish. The Conversation, 10 January 2018.
- Bureau of Meteorology’s Australian Climate Summary video, 9 January 2018.
- The hunt for Australia’s climate past. 3CR’s Lost In Science, 6 April 2017 (audio).
- Algernon Henry Belfield’s weather diaries given new life. The Armidale Express, 29 March 2017.
- Uncovering Australia’s climate history since European settlement. Public lecture, The University of Newcastle Cultural Collections, 22 March 2017.
- Delving through settlers’ diaries can reveal Australia’s colonial-era climate. The Conversation, 10 February 2017.
- First Fleet diaries to predict weather events, Herald Sun, 22 November 2016.
- The importance of climate data rescue in the Southern Hemisphere, two interviews with BBC World Radio. Interview 1, Interview 2, 21 November 2016.
- Current climate data rescue activities in Australia. Phys.org, 21 November 2016.
- Digitising sub-daily weather observations in Europe to improve climate reanalysis. Project overview, HistoricalClimatology.com, 23 July 2016.
- Historical climate data rescue activities in Australia. Project overview, HistoricalClimatology.com, 10 July 2016.
- 19th century weather data is helping climate scientists predict the future. The Conversation, 12 April 2016.
- Warming up down south: reviews of Mayewski et al. 2015 and Arblaster et al. 2011. The Winnower, 1 March 2016.
- Review of the paper “Urban warming in villages” by Lindén et al., 2015., The Winnower, 16 February 2016.
- Bridge the gap – Revision of the paper “Including the urban heat island in spatial heat health risk assessment strategies: a case study for Birmingham, UK” by Charlie J. Tomlinson et al., The Winnower, 16 February 2016.
- Review of Defining the Wind: The Beaufort Scale and How a 19th-Century Admiral Turned Science into Poetry by Scott Huler, on Science Book a Day, 4 February 2016
- El C3 un centre líder d’àmbit international en l’estudi del clima. Setmanari L’Ebre, 11 December 2015 (in Catalan).
- Historical teleconnections changes in southeastern Australia, invited blog piece for the Australian Energy and Water Exchange Initiative, 19 October 2015.
- Extending the temperature record of southeastern Australia, invited blog piece for climatrecon.wordpress.com, 26 March 2015.
- La tercera planta del Campus (the third floor on campus). Setmanari L’Ebre, 5 June 2015 (in Catalan, but you can read a translation here).
- El C3 de la URV digitalitza 3,5 milions de dades climàtiques. Diari Ebre de Tarragona, 5 February 2015 (in Catalan).
- Scientist unearth Australia’s early historical records of droughts and flooding rains. The Age, 13 October 2014.
- Australia’s early settlers weathered drought and flooding rains. The Age, 1 October 2014.
- 2014 University of New South Wales Eureka Prize for Excellence in Interdisciplinary Scientific Research, Australian Museum, September 2014.
- ClimateWatch citizen scientist with ear our for early warbles add sound contribution to database. The Age, August 9 2014.
- Citizen science and mobile technologies evolve together. CSIRO’s ECOS Magazine, 21 July 2014.
- You can monitor plants and animals responding to changing climate. ABC Radio National’s The Science Show, 19 July 2014 (audio).
- Science snippets: Frequent fliers. The Helix Magazine 155, April–May 2014, page 4.
- Feature article: Yesterday’s weather, tomorrow’s climate. Scientriffic 90, March–April 2014, pages 22–23.
- News articles for the Earthwatch citizen science program ClimateWatch January–September 2014.
- The University of Melbourne’s Three Minute Thesis competition, September 2013 (video).
- I wanna be a Doctor on Three RRR’s Detour program. 23 October 2013 (audio).
- A magical meteorological tour at the UK Science Museum Archive, Australian Research Council Centre of Excellence for Climate System Science blog, May 14 2013.
- Spot On: Postcards from Earth. Scientriffic 83, January–February 2013, page 5.
- Science snippets: Coral reefs causing a storm. The Helix Magazine 132, June–July 2010, page 5.